Saturday, September 6, 2008

Long time, no post...

It's probably time to upload pictures again, but since the camera is WAAAYYY upstairs and I am WAAAYYYY downstairs, I'll just write the words today and fill in the pictures tomorrow. That'll work.

We spent last weekend in Heber at Grandma Swain's house. It's always so fun to go visit there. I miss the days of living in more civilized parts of the state where it wasn't so far to run up and visit. It takes an act of congress to get us out of town now with the girls in school, not to mention an otherwise perfect baby who can somehow turn into a little monster and scream for two and a half hours straight because she hates the car. But I digress...

Anyway, on Friday, mom and I were up and at 'em early, arriving at Swiss Days around 7:30, along with what were, apparently, 80% of the women in the state. I have been at every Swiss Days for the past 12 years, and I've never seen it so crowded. I managed to spend what might be considered more than a reasonable amount on hats and hair accessories for the girls, ate a chocolate muffin that nearly made me cry with joy, and made a mental list of things I may or may not need to buy later. Lucy, bless her little heart, was tied to me in her new baby carrier (finished in the nick of time the day before) and slept like a little angel from 7:30 until just before 1:00 (when she woke up and realized she was starving...) I love Swiss Days.

In fact, I love it so much that I went back on Saturday. Twice. In the morning, I went with Mom and Mandy, and then in the afternoon, Ruthie and I returned alone for her much postponed birthday date. She was, I soon discovered, all about the food. She wanted to know if she could have a treat at the bakery (home of the aforementioned and much reverenced chocolate muffin), and a scone, and a snow cone, and cotton candy. We finally settled on an elephant ear from the bakery (and I'll admit it- I bought another chocolate muffin) which was saved for later so she could eat a scone. Bear in mind, Swiss Day scones are the size of three dinner plates. Ruthie ate about half and I was afraid she might not be able to hold that down. When she was nearly too full to move, we left to shop some more. When we finally left, she was sort of sad that we didn't have time to get a caramel apple and a smoothie. I love that kid. She cracks me up.

The girls are doing well in school. Meredith likes her teacher and has good friends in her class. She is working hard to pass off her timed math fact tests. The kid can do math, but when she thinks about being timed it freaks her out. Ruthie is mastering the fine art of playing with two kids at the same time. It's not as easy as it sounds, I guess. She has a kid who is a holy terror in her class, so we get to enjoy stories about him most nights.

Isaac doesn't know what to do without the girls. He kind of wavers between being blissed out getting all mom's attention, to being sad there is no one to play with when I'm busy. He did ask me the other day, "Aren't you glad I am never, ever naughty?" Talk about questions that are hard to answer with a straight face. He gets to play with Cole and Emmy from time to time, so that definitely helps.

We are getting back into the swing of dance again, as well (no pun intended.) I have the most darling classes this year. Really and truly. All but two girls have taken dance before, and all but four have taken from Jessica or I, which makes for a really easy transition. My younger class is made up of 10 five year olds, all in kindergarten. They did so well! My older class is ten first, second, and third graders, and they are amazing. I am re-choreographing some of their dances because they are really good little dancers. Now if I could just lose my baby fat (all 90 pounds or so) I would be perfectly set for the year.

Meanwhile, I am working on consistency. Isaac is figuring me out. In a stressed out moment while trying to fix dinner the other night, he wouldn't get out of my way, and kept demanding a sucker. I finally gave him one, on the condition that he get out of the kitchen while I worked. He walked straight into the living room and said, "Merry, Ruthie- if you pester mom in the kitchen she will give you a sucker." I guess no needs to start meaning no. There's my goal for the week.

No comments: