Monday, March 30, 2009

Isaac, again...

I should preface this by saying that Isaac is still unwilling to believe that I could ever betray him by holding hands with or marrying Zane. ("But I am already married to you, Mom!") We are aware that he probably needs therapy, but we keep thinking he'll grow out of it any time now... On Valentine's Day, Zane's dad called and volunteered to watch the kids so Zane and I could go out for awhile. Isaac was SO excited to have Grandpa coming over to play, until he asked where we were going. Without thinking anything of it, Zane answered that we were going on a date. Isaac immediately started sobbing, and saying, "Not with MY mom!" I jumped in and said, "Dad was just kidding. We're going on a window seat." (I know- stupid, but I had to think fast, and that was the first thing that came to my mind that people could be ON.) Unfortunately, one of the girls overheard, and said, "You guys are going on a toilet seat? Gross!" And, long story short (well, shorter) dates are now permanently referred to as toilet seats around here.

Until today... when I forgot that rule. The kids had been over to visit our neighbors (where they milked goats, collected eggs, ate homemade bread with honey, and probably fantasized about moving in...) and Meredith excitedly told me that the neighbor (her primary teacher) said that if we ever need to go somewhere, they could watch the kids for us. And now she thought it would be a great idea for Zane and I to go out on a date, creating the need for them to be babysat. I said, "That would be great. I'd love to go on a date." And Isaac ran up and yelled, "You CAN'T go on a date. You promised you would only go on a toilet seat!" (Which, ironically, is exactly the way my life feels sometimes. Way more toilet seat than night out.)

Oh, and that Valentine's Day date? When we got home, Isaac met us at the door, glared at Zane and said, "Did you hold her hand?" Zane very innocently assured him that he had not. Isaac, clearly not believing him, said, "When you were gone I told Grandpa 'I bet those guys are touching.'" He then shook his head with disgust, and stomped off to his room. (Yes, we will be taking referrals for therapists in the near future....)

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh my heck that is hilarious! If it makes you feel any better Brinley shows some of the same signs...she gets nervous and/or upset when we hold hands or hug or anything. Maybe it runs in the family? We all might be having group therapy lessons :)

callie said...

GOSH! I LOVE that kid!!!

Rod Eskelson said...

am jealous too! a babysitter? you lucky suckers!
That is so funny about Isaac, protective like his dad!