Gemini! Try as I might, I can't shake all my stupid baby superstitions. This includes, unfortunately, continually speculating on which astrological sign I could most successfully parent. I had hoped Ruthie would be a Gemini, but she held out long enough to be a Cancer. So now, I will get my shot at the original plan.
These are, it turns out, the stupid things I think about at 1:25 AM. I went to bed at 10:30, which of course meant that at midnight I was wide awake and unable to sleep anymore. So I took a bath, watched part of a tivo-ed Desperate Housewives, and now I have settled down to do some freaking out about dumb things. Since my due date has now come and gone, (which makes me feel a little like expired milk,) I am worrying that tomorrow I will go into labor, which is bad for three reasons:
First, (and this will likely ONLY make sense to me,) tomorrow is the 21st, and I don't like odd numbers. (Yes, Meredith and Isaac were both born with odd number birthdays, and they turned out okay, but given the choice, I'd have taken even.)
Second, tomorrow is Wednesday. What if Wednesday's child really IS full of woe? I can't stand pouty, crying kids. Who wants to risk that? (For the record also, Meredith was born on Monday, Ruthie on Friday, and Isaac on Tuesday, which means we have so far collected "fair of face," "full of grace," and "loving and giving" children.) I would be okay with a Thursday child, because if Thursday's child has far to go, maybe that means Jemima will get to travel.
Third, and undoubtedly most important, my doctor will be out of town tomorrow dropping his son off at the MTC. Now, I am positive that any of the other doctors would be ever so capable of catching Jemima when she emerges, but in a town as small as this one, I prefer to limit the number of people who have seen me in various states of undress and stripped of any dignity. Plus, I really like my doctor.
That said, I am also shopping online for BPA free bottles, which I am convinced I will need. This is probably also a dumb thing to do, since my kids don't so much take bottles. Ruthie had a grand total of three. Isaac had half of one. I can't imagine Jemima will have much need of them either. But what if.... (Not, mind you, that I am really sure what evil effect BPA is supposed to have...)
And, before I had the great idea to bottle shop, I spent some time reading medical journals to determine how much greater the risk of c-section is with an induced labor as opposed to a spontaneously occurring labor. (It looks like it is between 2 and 3 times as likely with an induction.) I still want to do this by myself, but I am also having fond thoughts of just scheduling my other childrens' arrivals. I'm a big fan of predictability.
I'm thinking my time would be better spent sleeping right now. Maybe I'll go watch General Conference. That's usually soothing.
No comments:
Post a Comment